Wednesday 18 February 2009

ABC Wednesday - E

E is for Eggs

Our two ex-battery chickens are in good shape now, and Cinnamon, the darker one, has started laying again. She has beautiful brown eggs. Here are some chicken/egg facts:

  1. Chickens lay about 300 eggs a year, but some breeds may lay more or less.
  2. Chickens with red earlobes lay dark eggs.
  3. Chickens lay approximately every 24-28 hours.

The other chicken, Bella is also in much better shape, but is not currently laying. We don't mind at all, a) because we didn't buy her to lay eggs, b) because she layed almost every day when we first brought her home.
Here are some of our eggs:

The three smaller, lighter ones are from our four young hens and the larger, darker one is Bella's or Cinnamon's.

Before I finish I'd like to say thank you to my chicks, because their eggs taste great in my cakes!!!

4 comments:

♥ Pernill@ said...

EGGS !!
Why didnt I think of that !!!
Nice work..

Tumblewords: said...

Nothing better than fresh eggs! Lucky you! Lucky hens!

Buddhist in Training said...

Your cakes would taste great anyway Jed, but yes, thank you chickies. :)

Don said...

I appreciate you rescuing the battery hens. I am pursuing that here in MIchigan. I wouldn't mind giving some a nice quiet home where they can just be chickens!